Saturday, November 19, 2011

Soccer Mom

Posted by Picasa
Today I spent a hilarious 45 minutes watching Finn twirl his way across a gymnasium, yes he spent about half the soccer game spinning ballerina-style. 4-year-old soccer is truly entertaining - you've got your goal-scoring ringers, you've got your criers, and then you've got your daydreamers. When he wasn't twirling, he was smiling over at mommy, coming in for water breaks, and climbing on the endline-marking bench. We caught him last game, somewhere midfield, showing his buddy his Spiderman undies. Finn comes from a family tradition of space cadets, my mom tells me that I spent my early soccer career in my own reverie - my father yelling encouragingly from the sidelines, 'Haley get your head in the game!'

It's not that Finn isn't athletic, the little man learned how to ride a 2-wheeler as a three-year-old, and can swim without a life jacket. He spent hours this past summer playing golf in the backyard and he spends time every day practicing head-stands and doing summer-salts. Of course, you'd think having his Dad for a coach might keep things in focus, but the competitive urge, or even the capacity to pay attention in the game, hasn't materialized yet in our little dreamer.

Soccer, it's OK, but Finn would rather climb the chain link fence next to the field. Or even better, play bad guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment